Guidance and counselling is an integral part of our school's educational provision. It can be categorised under three headings
- Personal/Social Guidance and Counselling
- Educational Guidance and Counselling
- Career/Vocational Guidance and Counselling
The Guidance Counselling team provides the following service:
- Counselling: helping pupils develop coping skills for the ever changing circumstances in their personal, educational, and career development; decision-making, problem-solving, behavioural changes
- Personal and social development: help pupils understand and overcome personal, social, or behavioural problems affecting their educational or vocational situations.
- Career information management: to acquire, store and disseminate useful careers and courses. Enable students to become familiar with useful websites such as qualifax.ie, careersportal.ie and careernews.ie
- Assessment: using psychological and educational standardised measurements eg DATS tests in Fifth year and CATS test for entrance exams.
- Vocational preparation: job search skills, encourage work experience in their chosen field
- Referrals: when necessary, students are referred to qualified professionals outside school
- Information to parents on CAO, subject choice and career paths.
- Encourage students or parents to seek additional assistance from outside agencies if required.
- Prepare students for later educational experiences by encouraging them to explore learning opportunities and to persevere with challenging tasks.
- We maintain strong links with DCU and other third level colleges to aid students in making the transition towards third level education.