BIM offer a Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport accredited initial training course which, following 12 months sea service allows students to apply for an oral exam leading to a Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport Engineering Officer Class 3 Certificate of Competency (Fishing Vessel). This enables the students to commence their career as an engineer on board commercial fishing vessels.
Course Entry Requirements:
- At least Junior Certificate Standard or equivalent
- C or higher in Mathematics, Science and English
- C or higher in Metalwork/Woodwork or Mechanical Drawing
- A Seafarer’s Medical Certificate approved by DTTAS
- At least 16 years of age
- Candidates are selected by interview
One academic year at the National Fisheries College, Greencastle, Co. Donegal followed by one year on board a commercial fishing vessel*
Class 3 Certification Course Content:
One year at the National Fisheries College, Greencastle, Co. Donegal, studying the QQI National Certificate in Engineering Technology including the following subjects:
- Mathematics 5N1833
- Engineering Drawing 5N1607
- Engineering Workshop Theory 5N2136
- Engineering Workshop Processes 5N1608
- Marine Engineering Processes
- Marine Engine Operations
- Basic Safety Training
- It Skills and Communications
and the SOLAS Certificate in Mechanical Engineering including the following subjects:
- Bench Fitting BF1/06
- Milling 1 ML1/06
- Turning 1 T1/06
- Manual Arc Welding AW1/06
- Gas Welding XW1/06
* Following their shore based training, students are required to arrange their 12 months qualifying sea service in an engineering capacity on board commercial fishing vessels, with main engines in excess of 750kW, to gain hands-on experience to be eligible to apply for the oral examination leading to a Certificate of Competency Class 3. During this time written assignments are completed and tasks are recorded in an on-board Training Record Book
QQI Engineering Technology Certificate following successful completion of eight (8) approved QQI Modules.
SOLAS Mechanical Engineering Certificates in Bench Fitting/Milling Manual Arc and Gas Welding.
DTTAS Class 3 Certificate of Competency Engineer Officer (Fishing Vessel) following successful completion of all initial training and 12 months qualifying sea service.
During shore based training, students may also study DTTAS General Engineering Science 1 & 2 subjects towards obtaining a DTTAS Class 2 Certificate of Competency Engineering Officer (Fishing Vessel).