The period of time between a young person receiving their Leaving Cert results and embarking on the next stage of their lives is an exciting period. Feelings of hope and expectation are often followed by relief, joy and sometimes disappointment when the results arrive and CAO offers are made.
It can be a stressful time for all concerned, including parents, who more than anything, will want to support their child as they navigate these crucial next few weeks. Apart from an anxious wait for exam results, there can be other uncertainties including....
- What way will the points go this year?
- Will my child secure a hoped for place in the university or college of their choice?
- What will my financial commitments look like for the next few years?
- Will my son or daughter be moving away from home?
- If so how do we secure the right accommodation?
- How will I cope with that empty corner of the nest?
- And if there’s disappointment and a sense of failure what is the best way to support the young person as they work through these feelings?
This is one of the major life transitions for any family, so a little preparation can help things move along more smoothly. Here, we address the main concerns that often confront parents and students over the coming weeks and answer the most frequently asked questions about Leaving Cert Results and CAO offers.
So the Leaving Cert is well and truly over. What happens next?
One of the tricky aspects of these few weeks, is that there are a number of overlapping processes, interdependent decisons to be made and deadlines to be met. These may be listed mainly as follows:
1. Leaving Cert Results
2. The Appeals Process
3. CAO offers and Acceptances
4. Money Matters - Grant Applications; Accommodation arrangements etc.
5. Other Options - Contingency plans; Repeat Leaving Cert; PLC (Post Leaving Cert Courses); UCAS clearing; Gap year and Study Abroad options.
With these concerns in mind our Leaving Cert – What's Next menu items address some of the main concerns that arise for parents of CAO applicants at this important time and offer practical information and advice.
Click here to explore Leaving Cert – What's Next
The Leaving Cert. Helpline is provided by the National Parents Council in partnership with the Irish Independent, Eircom and the Department of Education & Skills.
The purpose of the helpline is to assist students and their parents/guardians with any queries which may arise after the Leaving Cert. results have been released on Wednesday August 12th.
Helpline Phone Number: 1800 265 165
Qualified Guidance Counsellors from the Institute of Guidance Counsellors will be on hand to provide information and advice to callers.
The helpline opening hours are:
|Wednesday August 12
|Thursday August 13
|Friday August 14
|Monday August 17
|Tuesday August 18
|Wednesday August 19
The CareersPortal Team