Now that the Leaving Cert is over and the CAO Change of Mind closing date has passed, next up is to complete the SUSI Grant application process, if you have not already done so. Remember, there is no need for a student to have a college offer before applying to SUSI and applications should be made even if students are not yet sure if they will take up any offer that they might receive.
The closing date for for new applications for students who are planning to start college in September 2015, is Saturday 1st August 2015.
The SUSI online Student Grant Application System for the 2015/2016 academic year opened two weeks earlier than last year to facilitate more timely processing of applications.
SUSI processed over 103,000 applications last year with 74,000 students (new and renewal) receiving funding for the 2014/2015 academic year.
It is expected that the number of applications to SUSI for the 2015/16 academic year will surpass 110,000.
Students and Parents/Guardians are encouraged to:
1. Do the background work
- Visit the SUSI website and review the eligibility criteria for student grant funding prior to making an application.
2. Make the Grant application - Grant Process
- Create a SUSI account online
- Fill in and submit your online application - Decide what type of applicant you are, independent or dependant. Any applicant who was living with their parent in October 2014 is considered a dependant candidate, regardless of their age, and will be assessed on the basis of their parents' and their own income combined. Applicants over the age of 23 who do not live with their parents can be assessed as independents. Only their personal income and that of their spouse or partner, if relevant, will be considered.
- Applicants need their PPSN and a working email address and are also asked to enter a password, which should be kept safe, as it will be needed again.
- Applications take 15-20 minutes to complete, once you have all of the above information to hand.
- Applicants can stop at any time and save the work done. If you log out, you will need you password to login again.
- SUSI also has a helpline available for any issues that need clarification.
- The application will not go to SUSI for evaluation until the applicant hits the 'submit" button.'
3. Supporting Documentation
- Changes introduced in recent years mean that the application process is smoother than ever. Applicants are now required to submit far fewer documents than in the past, however they may still be required to submit some.
- You will receive a personalised list of documents, which must be sent to SUSI soon after applying.
- Once all documents have been gathered, photocopies only should be sent to SUSI.
- You should include a stamped address envelope so SUSI can return the documents.
- While SUSI will issue a date by which these documents must be received, the sooner they are received by SUSI the better.
Note: SUSI provides a list of possible documents that may be required. It is helpful for applicants to look at this and start organising items they are sure they will need, for example, documents in relation to nationality or refugee status.
- Students should submit their applications as early as possible.
Students who are progressing to the next year of their course must renew their grants . (The closing date for renewal of applications was 12th June 2015).
Closing date for new applications is 1st August 2015.
The CareersPortal Team