Selecting the right subjects for Leaving Cert and the level at which to take them, is a critical task faced by 60,000 second-level students every year. Making the wrong choice can have unintended consequences in two years’ time, when students find paths into college are blocked by not having the right subjects, or particular subjects required for entry into their chosen course.
To help with this task, a new, and even more comprehensive Senior Cycle Subject Choice area has been added to CareersPortal.ie.
The new and updated Senior Cycle Subject Choice area was launched last weekend at the IGC National Conference in Waterford where it was well received by the Guidance community.
The Guide to Senior Cycle Subject Choice area includes:
- Leaving Cert Subjects - A comprehensive subject listing by group (Practical; Science; Artistic & Creative; Humanities; Social and Business)
- The Three Leaving Certs - An outline of LCE, LCA and LCVP
- Quick Guide - A brief summary of some of the things to consider when choosing a course
- Subjects and Career Choice - the relationship to career area and college course choice
- FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions
37 Senior Cycle Subjects are covered, including Link Modules. Each subject page is presented in a drop down menu format which includes:
- In brief
- Why Study this?
- Videos and Interviews
- Course Overview
- Course Content
- Exam Structure and
- Career Possibilities
Requirements for 3rd Level and relationship to Career Sectors are also given, along with Marks Distribution, links to Exam Papers, Marking Schemes and the Full Curriculum for the particular subject.
The section includes extracts from a wide range of career interviews on the subjects interviewees took in school and how these choices influenced their career path.
The CareersPortal Team