What are Available Places through the CAO?
Every year, some CAO courses have surplus places available because there is a deficit of qualified applicants to fill them. This means that there is an opportunity, both for qualifying students who are already in the CAO system to apply for these courses, and for those who are not in the CAO system to consider applying.
A list of all available courses (also called 'Vacant Places') is now live on the CAO website HERE. This list will be continuously updated until all offers have been taken up.
- Persons who have not applied already may make an Available Place application on payment of a fee of €40.00.
- Persons who have applied already (whether placed or not) may apply for an Available Place on-line without payment of a further fee (when available).
- Applicants for Available Places/Vacant Places must meet the normal minimum entry requirements for the course(s) in question. Previously published points in an earlier round of offers should not be taken as an indication of the points required for entry to Available Places/Vacant Places.
- If you didn't apply for CAO because you felt you would not get enough points, and were pleasantly surprised by your Leaving Cert Results, you have an opportunity here to change your mind and make a college application at this stage.
- In your application you must now list this additional course from the Available Places List as your 1st choice option
How does it work?
After Round One Offers are issued, the Available Place facility operates on a weekly schedule of applications, offers and acceptances.
Applications for Vacant Places that arrive in CAO before 11:00 on a Monday each week from now will be processed and considered for offers on the following Thursday. An offer posted on a Thursday will be available to view on the CAO website the following day.
Offers will continue be issued until October 2015 to fill any vacancies which may arise.
Note: Exception - Round Two offers will be available to view on Thursday (next)
The CareersPortal Team