The period of time between receipt of Leaving Cert results and embarking on the next stage of their lives is an exciting period in a young person’s life. Feelings of hope and expectation are followed by relief, joy and sometimes disappointment when the results arrive and CAO offers are made.
It can be a stressful time for all concerned, including parents, who more than anything, will want to support their children as they navigate these crucial weeks. Apart from an anxious wait for exam results, there can be other uncertainties...
- What way will the points go this year?
- Will my child secure a hoped for place in the university or college of their choice?
- If so – which one?
- What will my financial commitments look like for the next few years?
- Will my son or daughter be moving away from home?
- If so how do we secure the right accommodation?
- How will I cope with that empty corner of the nest?
- And if there’s disappointment and a sense of failure what is the best way to support the young person as they work through these feelings?
This is one of the major life transitions for any family, so a little preparation can help things move along more smoothly. Here we address the main issues confronting parents and students over the coming weeks and answer the most frequently asked questions about Leaving Cert Results and CAO offers.
So the Leaving Cert is well and truly over. What happens next?
One of the tricky aspects of these few weeks, is that there are a number of overlapping processes, interdependent decisions to be made and deadlines to be met. These may be listed mainly as follows:
- Leaving Cert Results
- SEC Appeals Procedures
- CAO offers and acceptances
- Grant Applications & Accommodation arrangements
- Contingency plans including Repeat Leaving Cert, PLC (Post Leaving Cert Courses) UCAS clearing, Gap year and study abroad options.
Several issues can arise – all at the same time, and sometimes with the best will in the world it may be difficult to synchronise and juggle important dates, deadlines, results, appeals, offers, changes of plan and other arrangements, along with regular family commitments.
With these concerns in mind our Leaving Cert – What Happens Next section addresses some of the main concerns that arise for parents of CAO applicants at this important time and offer practical information and advice.
|Advice from parents that have been through the process is:
Be prepared. Be attentive to important dates, deadlines, financial outgoings and processes. Ensure that the atmosphere at home is low-key and upbeat. Be certain that important information comes from a reliable source such as: The IGC / NPC HELPLINE 1800 265165