Applications are currently being accepted for English Language Assistants in Spain and Belgium.
The role of the ELA is to help the pupils to see the foreign language as a living language of millions of people rather than as a ‘school’ language. The basic duties of the assistant are:-
- To assist the regular staff of the school either in Austria, Germany, France, Italy or Spain
- To conduct conversation classes in English
- To supplement such classes by exercises in reading, dictation and oral composition
- To give pupils an insight into the way of life in Ireland
The programme welcomes applicants from any field. Participants need some knowledge of the language, but it’s not required to be a student of Spanish. Candidates don’t need a background in education. Teaching experience or training will be an asset.
Dates of appointment: 1 October – 31 May.
Hours: 12-16 per week
Salary: Approximately €700-1000 per month. In Madrid, 16 hours/€1000. In Murcia, 15 hours/€875
- Age: 20 - 60 years old.
- One year (60 ECTS credits) of university studies completed by the application deadline.
- Irish nationality, however, candidates from other EU countries will be considered, if they have completed the majority of their secondary school education in Ireland and are fluent in English.
- British citizens are eligible if currently studying at an Irish University.
- UK or Irish passport holders who have completed secondary education overseas may be contacted at a later stage to assess their knowledge of Irish culture.
Assistants help with the teaching of English. They may be asked to assist in classes of other subjects delivered in English, and to participate in extra-curricular activities such as workshops, field trips, music/theatre performances or sports events.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 08 April 2019.
- Appointments in Wallonia are available in post-primary schools. Modern language undergraduates are eligible to apply after their second year of study.
- Dates of Appointment: 1 October to 31 May
- Hours: 12-16 hours per week (including preparation of course work and participation in extracurricular activities).
- Remuneration: You will receive an allowance of €982.56 per month net
- Age Limit: Applicants must be under 35 years.
- Police Clearance: applicants must show that they have no criminal record which would prevent them from working with children or vulnerable persons.
- Medical Entitlements: assistants are encouraged to apply for EHIC card. Assistants should check with their own insurance provider with regard to their cover abroad during the duration of their placement.
The closing date for receipt of completed applications is Monday 15th April 2019.
Completed application forms for either of the above positions must be returned to the International Section, Department of Education and Skills, Marlborough Street, Dublin 1, D01 RC96.