Leaving Cert Results Guide
To explore our Leaving Cert Results - Your Next Steps guide, click here.
CAO Available Places are places that remain unfilled in particular courses after all CAO offers have been made. They are also only made after the waiting list of CAO applicants who meet the minimum entry requirements for that course has been worked through. Some new courses are introduced after July 1st, when the ‘Change of Mind’ facility closes, and these places too fall into the available places category.
Vacant places only become available after the Round 1 CAO offers have been made and arise only when a college or university still has places available for application.
Who can apply to courses on the Available Places list:
- Students who have already submitted a CAO application in 2019
- Candidates who have not submitted an application can submit a special one for Available Places courses specifically. A fee of €45 applies.
Applications for CAO available places open on the 20th of August, 2019. You can see the list here.
Note: Candidates must satisfy the minimum entry requirements of the course on the available places list in order to receive an offer.
How to apply
The application procedure for Available Places is similar to the Change of Mind procedure. However, except for courses in which available places have been advertised, you may not re-order your original course choices.
- Log in to your application using 'My Application'
- Click on 'Add Level 8 Available Place Course' or 'Add Level 7/6 Available Place Course' as appropriate and follow instructions.
- Available/Vacant place course codes may only be inserted higher in your list of preferences than any offer which you have already received to date.
If you still wish to be considered for any existing courses on your choices list, you must insert all Available Place courses below those you wish to retain.
If you have already applied to the CAO this year, you insert Available Place courses into your existing list of course choices.
Courses with available places can be introduced or removed by the individual institutions at any stage over the coming weeks; applicants interested in applying for an available place should do so before the places on a specific course are filled.
Important: Your Level 8, and Level 7/6 lists may only contain a maxmium of ten entries each. Remember to place your course choices in genuine order of preference. If you place an Available Place course as your first preference and you get an offer on this course, then you will not be offered any course lower in your order of preference.
Non-Standard Applicants should contact the Higher Education Institution directly before completing an available place application.
Dates for CAO Offers:
- Round 1 Offers - available from 2pm on the 15th of August
- Round 2 Offers - available from 10am on the 28th of August
- Round 3 Offers - available from 6am on the 6th of September
See the CAO's video on Available Places below.
See the section on CAO Available Places in our Leaving Cert Guide here.
For more information on Available Places, see page 17 of the CAO Handbook here.
Search CAO courses on our CourseFinder here.