The CAO change of mind facility remains open until Monday 1st July, 2019. CAO applicants can avail of the facility until 5:15 pm on that day.
During the time that remains, applicants have the opportunity to change their course choices online, free of charge. There is no fee for using the Change of Mind facility.
- Subject to certain exceptions and restrictions, students may change course choices as often as they wish, up until the closing date.
- If you submit a Change of Mind, it cancels and supersedes all previous course choices in any category in which changes are made.
- Course choices in both categories (Level 8 and Level 7/6) are considered to be completely separate from each other for the purpose of Change of Mind e.g. a change of Level 8 course choices will not affect Level 7/6 choices. If you do not wish to change the courses in one category, do not submit a change. Your original courses in that category will remain unchanged.
- Do not mix courses from different categories (Level 8 and Level 7/6).
- Make sure to list all of your course choices for the particular category which you change.
- List your course choices in genuine order of preference.
Important: The CAO advises applicants to exercise caution when using the Change of Mind Facility and advises students against making changes to their order of preference or course choices based on how they feel they have performed in their examinations. CAO stresses the need to apply for courses in genuine order of preference.
- Make sure to carefully check your application and ensure that all of the course codes are correct and listed in order of preference.
- When entering new courses or editing existing course choices, applicants must list ALL courses on the New Choices list.
- Carefully read any email correspondence from CAO. Applicants will receive an email showing these changes.
Research Research Research!
When making course choices and changes, it is always advisable to do so based on good information and comprehensive research:
- Check the course detail
- Examine the course entry requirements
- Read the course module content
Use this invaluable CourseFinder to research CAO & Direct Entry Higher Education courses. Use the filters to narrow down your preferences, or identify new courses, restricted entry courses etc.
Remember that nobody will know their CAO points until the Leaving Certificate results are released on the 13th of August, so it is essential that you make your courses choices based on your genuine order of preference rather than how you think your exams went. This applies to any changes you makes using the Change of Mind Facility.
Download our Leaving Cert points Calculator to assist you in adding up your points on the day.
Download the FREE Leaving Cert Points Calculator
This clever app allows the user to instantly calculate CAO Points based on their Leaving Cert results. The easy to use interface takes the stress out of making mistakes when calculating points on results day!
Watch the CAO Change of Mind video for a step-by-step guide to the process.