In Summary - Train Station Assistant
Train Station Assistants typically work in the following Career Sectors:
Videos on the Web
- Train Station Assistant- from: Youtube Search
- Station Staff - from: iCould [UK] Video
The Work - Train Station Assistant
Station assistants / workers /operatives undertakes a range of general duties in and around train stations such as dealing with passenger queries, assisting passengers with luggage, loading and unloading trains.
They are also responsible for ensuring that customers are aware of any last minute departure time changes. Station Operatives may be required to use the Public Address System.
The station worker is responsible for keeping the station premises and platforms clean and well presented. In some stations, they assist with ticket checking duties.
Most commonly reported Work Tasks
- Examine passenger documentation to determine destinations and to assign boarding passes.
- Trace lost, delayed, or misdirected baggage for customers.
- Check baggage and cargo and direct passengers to designated locations for loading.
- Provide boarding or disembarking assistance to passengers needing special assistance.
- Confer with customers to determine their service requirements and travel preferences.
- Announce arrival and departure information, using public address systems.
- Determine whether space is available on travel dates requested by customers, assigning requested spaces when available.
- Assemble and issue required documentation, such as tickets, travel insurance policies, and itineraries.
- Maintain computerized inventories of available passenger space and provide information on space reserved or available.
- Inform clients of essential travel information, such as travel times, transportation connections, and medical and visa requirements.
Most commonly reported Work Activities
- Interacting With Computers Using computers and computer systems (including hardware and software) to program, write software, set up functions, enter data, or process information.
- Performing for or Working Directly with the Public Performing for people or dealing directly with the public. This includes serving customers in restaurants and stores, and receiving clients or guests.
- Getting Information Observing, receiving, and otherwise obtaining information from all relevant sources.
- Evaluating Information to Determine Compliance with Standards Using relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, or standards.
- Making Decisions and Solving Problems Analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events Identifying information by categorizing, estimating, recognizing differences or similarities, and detecting changes in circumstances or events.
- Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships Developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintaining them over time.
- Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates Providing information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Performing General Physical Activities Performing physical activities that require considerable use of your arms and legs and moving your whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling of materials.
- Communicating with Persons Outside Organization Communicating with people outside the organization, representing the organization to customers, the public, government, and other external sources. This information can be exchanged in person, in writing, or by telephone or e-mail.
Interests - Train Station Assistant
This occupation is typically suited for people with the following Career Interests:
The Investigative person will usually find a particular area of science to be of interest. They are inclined toward intellectual and analytical activities and enjoy observation and theory. They may prefer thought to action, and enjoy the challenge of solving problems with sophiscticated technology. These types prefer mentally stimulating environments and often pay close attention to developments in their chosen field.
Enterprising people like situations that involve using resources for personal or corporate economic gain. Such people may have an opportunistic frame of mind, and are drawn to commerce, trade and making deals. Some pursue sales and marketing occupations. Many will eventually end up owning their own business, or in management roles in larger organisations. They tend to be very goal-oriented and work best when focused on a target. Some have an entrepreneurial inclination.
The Social person's interests focus on interacting with the people in their environment. In all cases, the Social person enjoys the personal contact with other people in preference to the impersonal dealings with things, data and ideas found in other groups.
Many will seek out positions where there is direct contact with the public in some advisory role, whether a receptionist or a counsellor. Social people are motivated by an interest in different types of people and like diversity in their work environments. Many are drawn towards careers in the caring professions and social welfare area, whilst others prefer teaching and other 'informing' roles.
You should have an interest in providing good customer care. An approachable, confident and helpful manner is essential for this type of work. You must have a reasonably smart appearance and be willing to wear a uniform. You must be polite and friendly at all times
You will need to be quite fit, as some lifting and carrying is involved.
Knowledge of safe working practices is essential.
Entry Requirements - Train Station Assistant
Pay & Salary - Train Station Assistant
Salary Range (thousands per year)* 18k - 32k
Last Updated: April, 2017
* The lower figures typically reflect starting salaries. Higher salaries are awarded to those with greater experience and responsibility. Positions in Dublin sometimes command higher salaries.
Labour Market Updates - Train Station Assistant
Useful Contacts - Train Station Assistant
- Connolly Station, Dublin 1
- Click Here