In Summary - Travel Agency Clerk
Travel Agency Clerks typically work in the following Career Sectors:
Videos on the Web
- Travel Agency Clerk- from: Youtube Search
The Work - Travel Agency Clerk
In most agencies, clerks make use of computers to check the availability of tour packages. They can make immediate bookings with tour operators, airlines, shipping companies, coach operators and car hire companies. A sound knowledge of the different types of holiday available each year is required, as you will be asked for advice by your customers.
Clerks may also advise customers about passports, vaccinations, visas, insurance and extra excursions. They deal with issues relating to holiday cancellations and may arrange refunds or handle complaints. They refer serious cases to a senior manager or tour operator.
Travel agency clerks are trained in foreign exchange procedures and in business travel. Foreign exchange involves buying and selling foreign currency and travellers' cheques for customers and arranging to transfer money to them while they are abroad. Clerks working in business travel usually deal directly with companies by telephone to arrange trips for executives.
Work in this area would require a lot of time on the telephone and can be quite hectic.
Most commonly reported Work Tasks
- Collect payment for transportation and accommodations from customer.
- Converse with customer to determine destination, mode of transportation, travel dates, financial considerations, and accommodations required.
- Compute cost of travel and accommodations, using calculator, computer, carrier tariff books, and hotel rate books, or quote package tour's costs.
- Book transportation and hotel reservations, using computer terminal or telephone.
- Plan, describe, arrange, and sell itinerary tour packages and promotional travel incentives offered by various travel carriers.
- Provide customer with brochures and publications containing travel information, such as local customs, points of interest, or foreign country regulations.
- Print or request transportation carrier tickets, using computer printer system or system link to travel carrier.
Most commonly reported Work Activities
- Performing for or Working Directly with the Public Performing for people or dealing directly with the public. This includes serving customers in restaurants and stores, and receiving clients or guests.
- Getting Information Observing, receiving, and otherwise obtaining information from all relevant sources.
- Interacting With Computers Using computers and computer systems (including hardware and software) to program, write software, set up functions, enter data, or process information.
- Selling or Influencing Others Convincing others to buy merchandise/goods or to otherwise change their minds or actions.
- Communicating with Persons Outside Organization Communicating with people outside the organization, representing the organization to customers, the public, government, and other external sources. This information can be exchanged in person, in writing, or by telephone or e-mail.
- Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge Keeping up-to-date technically and applying new knowledge to your job.
- Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships Developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintaining them over time.
- Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work Developing specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates Providing information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Documenting/Recording Information Entering, transcribing, recording, storing, or maintaining information in written or electronic/magnetic form.
Interests - Travel Agency Clerk
This occupation is typically suited for people with the following Career Interests:
Administrative people are interested in work that offers security and a sense of being part of a larger process. They may be at their most productive under supervisors who give clear guidelines and while performing routine tasks in a methodical and reliable way.
They tend to enjoy clerical and most forms of office work, where they perform essential administrative duties. They often form the backbone of large and small organisations alike. They may enjoy being in charge of office filing systems, and using computers and other office equipment to keep things running smoothly. They usually like routine work hours and prefer comfortable indoor workplaces.
Enterprising people like situations that involve using resources for personal or corporate economic gain. Such people may have an opportunistic frame of mind, and are drawn to commerce, trade and making deals. Some pursue sales and marketing occupations. Many will eventually end up owning their own business, or in management roles in larger organisations. They tend to be very goal-oriented and work best when focused on a target. Some have an entrepreneurial inclination.
The Social person's interests focus on interacting with the people in their environment. In all cases, the Social person enjoys the personal contact with other people in preference to the impersonal dealings with things, data and ideas found in other groups.
Many will seek out positions where there is direct contact with the public in some advisory role, whether a receptionist or a counsellor. Social people are motivated by an interest in different types of people and like diversity in their work environments. Many are drawn towards careers in the caring professions and social welfare area, whilst others prefer teaching and other 'informing' roles.
Good communication skills and a pleasant, friendly personality are important when dealing with the public and tour operators. Keyboard skills are useful as computers are used constantly for enquiries and bookings.
Entry Requirements - Travel Agency Clerk
Pay & Salary - Travel Agency Clerk
Salary Range (thousands per year)* 16k - 31k
Last Updated: March, 2017
* The lower figures typically reflect starting salaries. Higher salaries are awarded to those with greater experience and responsibility. Positions in Dublin sometimes command higher salaries.
Labour Market Updates - Travel Agency Clerk
Although large numbers are employed in this occupation, growth is on a par with the national average. There are over 7,000 job ready job seekers previously employed in this occupation and it also features strongly in the recent job hires analysis indicating issues with job churn.
National Skills Bulletin 2018