In Summary - Fitness / Aerobics Instructor
Fitness / Aerobics Instructors typically work in the following Career Sectors:
Videos on the Web
- Fitness / Aerobics Instructor- from: Youtube Search
- Health and Fitness Instructor - from: icould [UK] Video
The Work - Fitness / Aerobics Instructor
Most commonly reported Work Tasks
- Observe participants and inform them of corrective measures necessary for skill improvement.
- Instruct participants in maintaining exertion levels to maximize benefits from exercise routines.
- Offer alternatives during classes to accommodate different levels of fitness.
- Plan routines, choose appropriate music, and choose different movements for each set of muscles, depending on participants' capabilities and limitations.
- Teach proper breathing techniques used during physical exertion.
- Evaluate individuals' abilities, needs, and physical conditions, and develop suitable training programs to meet any special requirements.
- Monitor participants' progress and adapt programs as needed.
- Explain and enforce safety rules and regulations governing sports, recreational activities, and the use of exercise equipment.
- Provide students with information and resources regarding nutrition, weight control, and lifestyle issues.
- Administer emergency first aid, wrap injuries, treat minor chronic disabilities, or refer injured persons to physicians.
Most commonly reported Work Activities
- Performing General Physical Activities Performing physical activities that require considerable use of your arms and legs and moving your whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling of materials.
- Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge Keeping up-to-date technically and applying new knowledge to your job.
- Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships Developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintaining them over time.
- Getting Information Observing, receiving, and otherwise obtaining information from all relevant sources.
- Thinking Creatively Developing, designing, or creating new applications, ideas, relationships, systems, or products, including artistic contributions.
- Coaching and Developing Others Identifying the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Assisting and Caring for Others Providing personal assistance, medical attention, emotional support, or other personal care to others such as coworkers, customers, or patients.
- Performing for or Working Directly with the Public Performing for people or dealing directly with the public. This includes serving customers in restaurants and stores, and receiving clients or guests.
- Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates Providing information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Training and Teaching Others Identifying the educational needs of others, developing formal educational or training programs or classes, and teaching or instructing others.
Interests - Fitness / Aerobics Instructor
This occupation is typically suited for people with the following Career Interests:
The Social person's interests focus on interacting with the people in their environment. In all cases, the Social person enjoys the personal contact with other people in preference to the impersonal dealings with things, data and ideas found in other groups.
Many will seek out positions where there is direct contact with the public in some advisory role, whether a receptionist or a counsellor. Social people are motivated by an interest in different types of people and like diversity in their work environments. Many are drawn towards careers in the caring professions and social welfare area, whilst others prefer teaching and other 'informing' roles.
Realists are usually interested in 'things' - such as buildings, mechanics, equipment, tools, electronics etc. Their primary focus is dealing with these - as in building, fixing, operating or designing them. Involvement in these areas leads to high manual skills, or a fine aptitude for practical design - as found in the various forms of engineering.
Realists like to find practical solutions to problems using tools, technology and skilled work. Realists usually prefer to be active in their work environment, often do most of their work alone, and enjoy taking decisive action with a minimum amount of discussion and paperwork.
Enterprising people like situations that involve using resources for personal or corporate economic gain. Such people may have an opportunistic frame of mind, and are drawn to commerce, trade and making deals. Some pursue sales and marketing occupations. Many will eventually end up owning their own business, or in management roles in larger organisations. They tend to be very goal-oriented and work best when focused on a target. Some have an entrepreneurial inclination.
You will need an approachable personality and the ability to teach and motivate people. Good communication skills are necessary for tasks such as explaining techniques or movements clearly.
Physical fitness is also important in this type of work, as is a responsible attitude to health and safety.
Self-employed fitness instructors need business management skills.
Entry Requirements - Fitness / Aerobics Instructor
Pay & Salary - Fitness / Aerobics Instructor
Salary Range (thousands per year)* 18k - 35k
Last Updated: March, 2017
* The lower figures typically reflect starting salaries. Higher salaries are awarded to those with greater experience and responsibility. Positions in Dublin sometimes command higher salaries.
Labour Market Updates - Fitness / Aerobics Instructor
The vacancy data indicates that job opportunities exist for fitness instructors, although no shortages have been identified in this area.
National Skills Bulletin 2018