Galway view map
GMIT Letterfrack is the National Centre of Excellence for Furniture Design and Wood Technology and has been synonymous with the study of furniture design, making and technology since 1987.
From September 2020 we are offering a new course structure. Applicants apply for the B.Sc. in furniture Design, Making and Technology. After year one, students choose their preferred degree in one of the following disciplines:
- Furniture Design and Manufacture
- Furniture Making and Architectural Woodworking
- Furniture and Digital Manufacturing
GMIT Letterfrack also offer an Honours degree in:
- Teacher Education (Construction Studies and DCG)
Our graduates are recognised for their innovative, creative and responsive approach to projects. They frequently win and feature in shortlists for national and international awards.
Click on the image to read.
Click here for our Newsletter - Capturing some of the events, collaborations and awards the Students of GMIT Letterfrack were involved with last year.
State of the art facilities and equipment
- Our machine halls and bench rooms are fully equipped and include CNC and laser technology, as well as robotics.
- Our laboratories and workrooms are designed as highly efficient environments.
- We have two fully equipped computer laboratories and WiFi throughout the campus.
Work Placements and internships
- We have links to major furniture design and manufacturing companies around the globe.
- Our students can avail of opportunities to work with leaders in furniture design and manufacturing.
Award winning students
- We are a campus of 250 students yet we frequently top awards lists nationally and internationally.
- GMIT Letterfrack students have won Design and Craft Awards, National Skills Awards, Undergraduate Awards and Wood Marketing Awards.
Award winning lecturers
- We have a friendly team of staff committed to standards of excellence. Three of our lecturers have won the GMIT President’s Award for Teaching Excellence in the past seven years.
- Others include published authors, researchers and experts in the field of furniture design and technology.
- GMIT Letterfrack has a number of links with colleges in Europe and the USA.
- Students can avail of opportunities to study overseas as part of their degree.
Clubs, societies and sport
- GMIT Letterfrack has various sporting clubs with great facilities nearby for soccer and GAA.
- We have achieved national success with our GAA teams, having won all-Ireland Division 3 titles in hurling and football.
- Students may join the design society which is involved in curating exhibitions and promotion of students work.
- Students may also join the wood turning society, which is long established and is currently aiming to become a chapter of the Wood Turning Guild.
- The campus is located in the stunning Connemara National Park, near Killary Fjord and Kylemore Abbey; it is an hour’s drive away from Galway city and Westport.
- Students may enjoy outdoor activities such as surfing, hill walking and rock climbing. Letterfrack village and its surrounds provide ample accommodation for students.
Programmes on the campus are supported by Connemara West Development PLC (a community and rural development organisation based in Letterfrack).
100% Employment for Graduates
All graduates from GMIT Letterfrack in 2018 seeking work, have found employment. Work Placement is a key element of the programmes, enabling students to undertake work in leading companies both in Ireland and overseas.
Year Long Placements
NEW! For September 2020
A lot of emphasis is placed on the importance of links with industry at GMIT Letterfrack, and all students are given the opportunity of undertaking a year-long work placement in a furniture company as part of their programmes. The Work Placement module involves students spending their third year in a company within the furniture and wood manufacturing industry in Ireland or overseas. Placement companies can vary from large manufacturers to small workshops allowing students to choose their preferred sector.
Value of Placements
Placements offer an excellent opportunity for students to gain invaluable first-hand experience of working in the furniture industry. Through Placements, students broaden their understanding of enterprise operations and widen their professional network. Often Placements lead to job opportunities for students once their studies are completed.
Award Winning Students
For the past 10 years, students of GMIT Letterfrack have won the National Skills Competition in Cabinet Making and four students have represented Ireland in the World Skills Competitions in Germany, Brazil, Abu Dhabi and Russia.
Design and Technology Education
Due to our national and international reputation for quality, we are The National Centre for Excellence in Furniture, Design and Wood Technology.