The aim of the programme is to develop a high level of intellectual awareness and technical competence in Business and Law.
This combined programme in Business and Law was established further to industry recommendation and advice that graduates with such a combination of skills i.e. business acumen and legal knowledge would be invaluable in the contemporary graduate labour market.
Graduates of the programme will:
- Develop a thorough understanding of the fundamental theoretical issues in Business and Law and their relevance to practice;
- Develop the ability for independent and critical thinking through analysis, synthesis and evaluation of information, leading to solutions and recommended actions;
- Develop the ability to apply theoretical understanding to observed information so as to define, analyse and provide solutions to issues in Business and Law;
- Develop the ability to communicate clearly and concisely;
- Have gained an appropriate academic foundation for further professional studies in the area of Business Management and / or Law;
- Will have an informed basis for the selection of future career paths;
- Will be in a position to build on the firm relations which have been formed with professional institutions and associations
This course prepares you for working in the Career Sectors below. Follow the links to get a fuller understanding of the sectors you are preparing for.
QQI FET/FETAC Links
Points Calculator for QQI Awards:
Details of the QQI scoring system and a points calculator can be found HERE
The Student - Career Interests
This course is typically suited for people with the following Career Interests. If these interests do not describe you, this course may prepare you for work you may not find satisfying.
Enterprising people like situations that involve using resources for personal or corporate economic gain. Such people may have an opportunistic frame of mind, and are drawn to commerce, trade and making deals. Some pursue sales and marketing occupations. Many will eventually end up owning their own business, or in management roles in larger organisations. They tend to be very goal-oriented and work best when focused on a target. Some have an entrepreneurial inclination.
Administrative people are interested in work that offers security and a sense of being part of a larger process. They may be at their most productive under supervisors who give clear guidelines and while performing routine tasks in a methodical and reliable way.
They tend to enjoy clerical and most forms of office work, where they perform essential administrative duties. They often form the backbone of large and small organisations alike. They may enjoy being in charge of office filing systems, and using computers and other office equipment to keep things running smoothly. They usually like routine work hours and prefer comfortable indoor workplaces.
The combination of Business and Law offers students the opportunity to develop a skill set that is likely to be of considerable utility and, furthermore, to be highly marketable in a wide variety of workplaces.
Students completing this course will be strongly positioned to compete for graduate positions in, management, insurance, banking, human resources, finance, and regulatory roles. Students will also be well positioned to progress to further studies in the disciplines of business, law, accounting and management.
Graduates of this programme will be entitled to sit and prepared for entrance examinations for both the Law Society and the Honourable Society of Kings Inns.
DT321 is recognised and accredited by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) and the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA). Recognition and accreditation from the Chartered Accountants Ireland (CAI) is pending.