The aim of this programme is to equip graduates with the necessary knowledge, core skills and competencies to work in a variety of roles within the media arts & technology sectors, particularly in the areas of these sectors where the merging of creative practices and skills utilising media and information technologies are developed.
This course prepares you for working in the Career Sectors below. Follow the links to get a fuller understanding of the sectors you are preparing for.
QQI FET/FETAC Links
This course will accept Any QQI Level 5 or 6 Major Award as an entry requirement.
Click on the link below to find PLC courses that also relate to this career sector. Note you can view more courses by adjusting the filters on the listings page.
View Courses (Filtered by Career Sector)
Points Calculator for QQI Awards:
Details of the QQI scoring system and a points calculator can be found HERE
The Student - Career Interests
This course is typically suited for people with the following Career Interests. If these interests do not describe you, this course may prepare you for work you may not find satisfying.
The Linguistic's interests are usually focused on ideas and information exchange. They tend to like reading a lot, and enjoy discussion about what has been said. Some will want to write about their own ideas and may follow a path towards journalism, story writing or editing. Others will develop skills in other languages, perhaps finding work as a translator or interpreter. Most Linguistic types will enjoy the opportunity to teach or instruct people in a topic they are interested in.
The Investigative person will usually find a particular area of science to be of interest. They are inclined toward intellectual and analytical activities and enjoy observation and theory. They may prefer thought to action, and enjoy the challenge of solving problems with sophiscticated technology. These types prefer mentally stimulating environments and often pay close attention to developments in their chosen field.
Graduates of the programme will have a detailed knowledge and understanding of both the creative and developmental strands within the Media Arts & Technologies disciplines and will be skilled in the use of a range of digital media.
They will be equipped to follow career paths in the following broad categories:
- Web Developer – creating web-based applications.
- Web Designer – integrating visual elements into webpages.
- Webmaster – combines the roles ofWeb Developer and Web Designer.
- Multimedia Developer – authoring integrated multimedia applications involving graphics, animation, sound, text and video.
- Multimedia Designer – designing the front-end elements of interactive applications using a broad range of digital media modalities.
- Graphic designer - designing graphic content and layout for both print and digital platforms.
- Animator - creating motion graphics through both 2D and 3D techniques.
- Audio designer and editor.
- Video content creator and editor.