Rural Social Scheme
The Rural Social Scheme (RSS) is aimed at low-income farmers and fishermen/women.
To qualify for the RSS you must be getting a social welfare payment. In return, people participating in the RSS provide services that benefit rural communities. For example:
- Maintaining and enhancing various walking routes
- Energy conservation work for older people and those at risk of poverty
- Village and countryside enhancement projects
- Social care and care of older people
- Community care for pre-school and after-school groups
- Environmental maintenance work
- Projects relating to not-for-profit cultural and heritage centres
- Community administration or clerical work
- Any other appropriate community based project identified during the scheme
Participants in the scheme work 19.5 hours per week. These hours are to ensure participation on the scheme does not affect your farming/fishing activities. A mimimum payment of €215.50 applies.
If you get a place on the RSS Scheme, you are offered a contract from your start date for up to 22 months.
As this scheme is administered locally, you should contact your local RSS implementing body for further information or an application form.
Further information on the RSS scheme is also available click here