St. Catherines Association was originally formed in 1970 by a small group of friends and families of children with intellectual disabilities.
Notable people involved at the time were Mrs. George O’Toole, Mrs. Clancy, Mrs. Cooney Jennings, Canon Fraser, Mrs. Doherty, Mrs. Stella Cooney, Rev. Robert Jennings and Mrs. Marie Brassington. Originally, they established a virtual child-minding service for one morning per week to allow the parents of these children have a few hours for relaxation or shopping. This developed into a minimal service for about ten children.
The Association then became a Registered Charity after a few years, and succeeded in acquiring the use of one room in The Nurses Home attached to Newcastle Hospital.
As the service grew, the Association became a Company (limited by guarantee with no share holdings). It is now managed by nine Directors who are nominated by the various groups and parents at the Annual General Meetings.
Information for Volunteers/Work Experience
St Catherine’s are pleased to facilitate the attendance of Work Experience/Students/Volunteers. All forms and information that are required to apply for Work Experience or Volunteer Work in St. Catherines Association Ltd are listed below, please print them off, fill them in and return to the Training Department.
Categories of Students/Volunteers.
- Students who are attending second level colleges and are doing Transition year courses or similar that requires them to find work experience placements usually of one/two weeks.
- Students who are attending Graduate and Non Graduate (Certificate/Diploma) Third Level Colleges and require placements as part of their course.
- Students who have successfully completed Non Graduate (Certificate/Diploma) Third Level Courses and require placements for further study, accreditations or experience are required to provide evidence of their completion of Third Level Course.
- Graduates who require Post graduate placements for further study, accreditations or experience in specific disciplines are required to provide evidence that they are registered with their relevant Professional Body.
- Post Graduates/Post Graduates employed by the HSE and/or other appropriate public bodies.
- Other persons seeking placements related to study.
- St Catherine’s Association Ltd. requires completed applications at least 8 weeks before the proposed commencement date.
- St Catherine’s Association Ltd. at its absolute discretion may determine at any time which documents etc that it requires.
- St Catherine’s Association Ltd. may at its absolute discretion decide to invite applicants for interview prior to a decision on the application otherwise a decision on the application will follow an examination of the submitted file.
- St Catherine’s Association Ltd. will reserve the right to award or refuse any application for placement at its absolute discretion without explanation.
- St Catherine’s Association Ltd. will reserve the right to terminate any placement at its absolute discretion at any time during the placement without explanation.
Supervision during placements
Each person placed in a St Catherine’s Association Ltd unit will be familiarized by the Leader of that Unit with the expectations placed by us on the person placed. The person placed will be informed at all times of the identity of the Unit Leader.
Each person placed will be obliged to comply with St Catherine’s Association Ltd policies and to comply with the directions of the identified Unit Leader.
There will be an obligation on the person placed to remain informed of the procedures and rules for the location.
The Unit Leader and Staff in each location will support the placed person with the professionalism that characterizes St Catherine’s and to the best of their abilities will make the placement a pleasant and useful experience for the student.
Students at the end of their placement will enjoy the required appraisals and document completions that are required for their course.
Placements will be available in:
Speech and Language
Occupational Health and Safety
Health and Safety
How to Apply
You must be logged on to apply for this position. Click here to Login or SignUp